When is it time to get an implant?

The final frontier. Deciding when, if and how.
Rider1400
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:23 pm
Location: Benton Arkansas

Re: When is it time to get an implant?

Postby Rider1400 » Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:10 pm

arazon wrote:
Rider1400 wrote: Now I’ve had a revsion an infection a salvage and then an explantation. Now after 3 months waiting I’ve been reimplanted.


Does it happen that people get revisions a lot because of infection?


Revisions do have a higher % of infection rate but I think it says double but my Surgeon has around a 1% infection rate so it would be double that so 2%. And agin increases with each surgery. Dr and I both scratching our head as to what might have caused my infections. I often say I just drew the short straw. So far with my new implant I’m doing great. I’m at 3 weeks and 2 days and all is totally clear. Further than I made it with previous ones. If I had it to do all over again I would do the same thing. I feel it’s a risk well worth the benefits. All surgeries have a possibility of infection and I’ve had 13 in my life and this is the first time I’ve gotten an infection. Never know. I might have been on the edge of being sick when it took place or any other of many contractors.
Born 1965 ED at 45 pills,shots all failed.
Implanted 5-22 Titan 20cm with 1cm RTE.
Revision 3-26 Titan 24cm with 1cm trimmed off.
Infection, salvage 5-26 Titan 24cm -1cm trimmed
Explanted 6-17
Implanted 9-2 Titan 22cm less 1 cm trimmed

User avatar
GoodWood
Posts: 1756
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Re: When is it time to get an implant?

Postby GoodWood » Fri Sep 25, 2026 10:59 pm

arazon wrote:

I'm taking a leap into implant territory so I'm scared.


I understand completely.

"Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain." — Ralph Waldo Emerson.
58yo, NYC. ED started at 40. Pills, then shots for 10 years. 24cm Coloplast Titan XL w/classic pump by Dr Eid 3/25/2025. Will meet for show & tell.
Implant journal: [url] viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26225[/url]

arazon
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2026 8:23 pm

Re: When is it time to get an implant?

Postby arazon » Sat Sep 26, 2026 11:58 am

Rider1400 wrote:
arazon wrote:
Rider1400 wrote: Now I’ve had a revsion an infection a salvage and then an explantation. Now after 3 months waiting I’ve been reimplanted.


Does it happen that people get revisions a lot because of infection?


Revisions do have a higher % of infection rate but I think it says double but my Surgeon has around a 1% infection rate so it would be double that so 2%. And agin increases with each surgery. Dr and I both scratching our head as to what might have caused my infections. I often say I just drew the short straw. So far with my new implant I’m doing great. I’m at 3 weeks and 2 days and all is totally clear. Further than I made it with previous ones. If I had it to do all over again I would do the same thing. I feel it’s a risk well worth the benefits. All surgeries have a possibility of infection and I’ve had 13 in my life and this is the first time I’ve gotten an infection. Never know. I might have been on the edge of being sick when it took place or any other of many contractors.

Do you know how long one must wait after getting an implant when you're in the clear and dont have to worry about infection anymore?

Rider1400
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:23 pm
Location: Benton Arkansas

Re: When is it time to get an implant?

Postby Rider1400 » Sat Sep 26, 2026 9:11 pm

arazon wrote:
Rider1400 wrote:
arazon wrote:
Does it happen that people get revisions a lot because of infection?


Revisions do have a higher % of infection rate but I think it says double but my Surgeon has around a 1% infection rate so it would be double that so 2%. And agin increases with each surgery. Dr and I both scratching our head as to what might have caused my infections. I often say I just drew the short straw. So far with my new implant I’m doing great. I’m at 3 weeks and 2 days and all is totally clear. Further than I made it with previous ones. If I had it to do all over again I would do the same thing. I feel it’s a risk well worth the benefits. All surgeries have a possibility of infection and I’ve had 13 in my life and this is the first time I’ve gotten an infection. Never know. I might have been on the edge of being sick when it took place or any other of many contractors.

Do you know how long one must wait after getting an implant when you're in the clear and dont have to worry about infection anymore?


I’ve been told that 4 weeks is your first hurdle especially after just get over an infection. After that I just don’t know. This Wednesday I’ll be 4 weeks so looking good at this point. My first revision I started swelling and running fever right at 3-1/2 weeks. Second one I was on IV antibiotics for 5 days previous to surgery and two weeks after surgery. Two days after they took the PIC line out of my arm the incision opened up and turned all red. Took 3 days after that to get it taken out. After explantation I healed really fast and never had any sign of anything.
Born 1965 ED at 45 pills,shots all failed.
Implanted 5-22 Titan 20cm with 1cm RTE.
Revision 3-26 Titan 24cm with 1cm trimmed off.
Infection, salvage 5-26 Titan 24cm -1cm trimmed
Explanted 6-17
Implanted 9-2 Titan 22cm less 1 cm trimmed

arazon
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2026 8:23 pm

Re: When is it time to get an implant?

Postby arazon » Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:20 pm

Rider1400 wrote:
arazon wrote:
Rider1400 wrote:
Revisions do have a higher % of infection rate but I think it says double but my Surgeon has around a 1% infection rate so it would be double that so 2%. And agin increases with each surgery. Dr and I both scratching our head as to what might have caused my infections. I often say I just drew the short straw. So far with my new implant I’m doing great. I’m at 3 weeks and 2 days and all is totally clear. Further than I made it with previous ones. If I had it to do all over again I would do the same thing. I feel it’s a risk well worth the benefits. All surgeries have a possibility of infection and I’ve had 13 in my life and this is the first time I’ve gotten an infection. Never know. I might have been on the edge of being sick when it took place or any other of many contractors.

Do you know how long one must wait after getting an implant when you're in the clear and dont have to worry about infection anymore?


I’ve been told that 4 weeks is your first hurdle especially after just get over an infection. After that I just don’t know. This Wednesday I’ll be 4 weeks so looking good at this point. My first revision I started swelling and running fever right at 3-1/2 weeks. Second one I was on IV antibiotics for 5 days previous to surgery and two weeks after surgery. Two days after they took the PIC line out of my arm the incision opened up and turned all red. Took 3 days after that to get it taken out. After explantation I healed really fast and never had any sign of anything.


You went through a lot with this surgery wow. It sounds too overwhelming that it kinda puts me off from surgery to be honest with you. Art least you recovered which is important.

Rider1400
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:23 pm
Location: Benton Arkansas

Re: When is it time to get an implant?

Postby Rider1400 » Mon Sep 28, 2026 4:39 pm

arazon wrote:
Rider1400 wrote:
arazon wrote:Do you know how long one must wait after getting an implant when you're in the clear and dont have to worry about infection anymore?


I’ve been told that 4 weeks is your first hurdle especially after just get over an infection. After that I just don’t know. This Wednesday I’ll be 4 weeks so looking good at this point. My first revision I started swelling and running fever right at 3-1/2 weeks. Second one I was on IV antibiotics for 5 days previous to surgery and two weeks after surgery. Two days after they took the PIC line out of my arm the incision opened up and turned all red. Took 3 days after that to get it taken out. After explantation I healed really fast and never had any sign of anything.


You went through a lot with this surgery wow. It sounds too overwhelming that it kinda puts me off from surgery to be honest with you. Art least you recovered which is important.


It’s almost funny that I never worried about infection on my first IPP 4-1/2 years ago. I had had so many surgeries that I just looked at it as just another. Things went perfectly and I recovered very quickly with little swelling and almost no pain. I went into my revision this past February with the same thoughts especially since I was using one of the BEST surgeon’s. Oh well it happened to me.
I would never tell anybody to hold off for fear of infection. Go into it health as you can be,follow Drs orders and chances are still 98% plus that you will not get an infection. Look at it like this…. There’s a risk of getting in an accident and getting hurt or killed in a car wreck any time any day anywhere. Some people are afraid to fly in an airplane for fear of it crashing and then dying. Theoretically your chances are a lot better on the plane. This is why I went with the best surgeon I could get to. I honestly feel like he did all he could do to prevent this from happening.
If you feel you’re ready for an implant, get the best surgeon you can get to and put it in his hands. There’s theoretically a chance you could die before you even get the surgery from a heart attack or a crash…. But we can’t live our lives in fear of the 1-2% possibilities of complications. There’s a good life out there just waiting on you. Infection should not be a deciding factor in theis process. Good luck my friend.
Born 1965 ED at 45 pills,shots all failed.
Implanted 5-22 Titan 20cm with 1cm RTE.
Revision 3-26 Titan 24cm with 1cm trimmed off.
Infection, salvage 5-26 Titan 24cm -1cm trimmed
Explanted 6-17
Implanted 9-2 Titan 22cm less 1 cm trimmed


Return to “Implants”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot, alans4570, ClaudeBot, hotdog, messa1212, YandexBot and 32 guests